[Trainers] Question about discussion session checkout requirement

Rayna M Harris rayna.harris at utexas.edu
Fri Nov 17 15:58:55 CST 2017

Hi Amy,

The discussion sessions and the demo sessions are two separate activities.

Demo etherpad: http://pad.software-carpentry.org/teaching-demos
Discussion etherpad: http://pad.software-carpentry.org/instructor-discussion

For the demo, they must prepare to teach for 5 minutes from on of our
lessons.
For the discussion, they show up and listen to certified instructors talk
about past workshops or ask questions about upcoming workshops.

The cap on the number of attendees is very important. Three years of
experience conducting online discussion sessions has led the mentoring
committee to cap the number of participants to give everyone a chance to
contribute. Maybe someone from the mentoring committee can speak up as to
what to do if there really aren't any open sessions that fit the trainees
schedule.

Does that help?

Rayna