[Trainers] more "meat" on the checkout discussion sessions

Aleksandra Pawlik a.pawlik at software.ac.uk
Mon Feb 29 11:47:26 EST 2016

Hi,

RIght, so looks like my email client goes crazy and sends unfinished emails
hiding them from me.
What I wanted to say is that I have used the following questions to guide
the Checkout discussion last week (disclaimer, this was my first session so
I may be completely speaking rubbish here):
1) When working through the lesson did you feel like you would like to
change the flow/ present the concepts differently? If so, which ones and
why?
2) Anything that you found unclear in the material? Did you get stuck
anywhere?
3) What could be the misconceptions that the students could develop when
learning this material? (i.e. which bits of the module may be tricky - if
poorly explained, they may lead the students to broken mental model)
4) What assumptions about the prior knowledge would have for the students
taking this module? If you were to list any prerequsites, what would they
be?

1 and 2 should help the trainees get settled with our collaborative lesson
development approach. That is, by answering their doubts we hopefully can
retain: "Almost all of our instructors are now using our lessons rather
than legacy material of their own." [1]
And of course 1 and 2 is to give trainees more confidence.

3- references back to our Instructor Training and makes trainees aware of
where to be step carefully with the materials.
4 - references back to the IT as well and again, hopefully raises awareness
among the trainees what is OK to assume about the prior knowledge for this
module and what is not.

The problem is that the person leading the discussion needs to have good
background understanding of the discussed modules.
And the discussion needs to be well moderated, otherwise it will take ages.
Cheers,
Aleksandra

[1]
http://software-carpentry.org/blog/2016/01/eighteen-months-of-progress.html

--
Training Leader
The Software Sustainability Institute, University of Manchester