[Maintainers] Recap of Nov 30 Lesson Infrastructure meeting

Kate Hertweck k8hertweck at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 18:04:49 CST 2016

Hi folks,

The newly organized Lesson Infrastructure subcommittee (formerly known as
Lesson Developers) had our first meeting this week. Items of interest are
summarized below:

1. *Meeting notes*: Full agenda with notes [1]

2. *Proposal for new subcommittee (Lesson Infrastructure)* [2], not yet
approved by the Steering Committee, revisions/comments welcome

3. *Proposed revisions to Lesson Maintainers subcommittee* [3], not yet
approved by the Steering Committee, revisions/comments welcome

4. *Lesson release*: Next lesson release will be sometime in December (as
per our six month schedule). There won't be any more style changes before
then, but feel free to clean up other PRs over the next few weeks.

5. *DC lesson releases:* Data Carpentry lessons will be moved to the new
(SWC) template sometime in January, so DC lessons won't be included in the
December release. They will release independently in February, but sync up
with SWC releases in June 2017.

6. *Lesson objectives*: Following the December release, be on the lookout
for PRs to lesson objectives from Kari Jordan (DC staff working on
assessment, copied here). She is happy to work with you to modify existing
objectives to assist in streamlining our lesson assessment. This will be an
ongoing project starting with DC lessons

7. *Instructor notes:* We're still interested in revamping instructor
notes, but aren't sure yet where to find folks with time to conform current
notes to the new template [4]

8. *Additional human languages*: We will add translations for
workshop-template as branches. We do not officially support language
translations of lessons (e.g., house on our website and GitHub orgs) unless
they are formally supported according to the lesson roadmap. Greg is
working on adding language to the lesson roadmap to accommodate this
guideline.

9. We're still thinking about ways to balance decisions on content of
curriculum (e.g., what do we teach?) with details associated with lesson
infrastructure (e.g., what do our lessons look like? Are there typos?). We
expect these to be ongoing discussions.

Thanks again for all the work you do!
Kate

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rbliUjj-
XwvBcVDmPzEMZzsETEtNHFVWD7CFKxUjjes/edit?usp=sharing
[2] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hdvolcxKWlu57wme1p4L-3CH_F9_
ObZFW_A-E6OxZrM/edit?usp=sharing
[3] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hdvolcxKWlu57wme1p4L-3CH_F9_
ObZFW_A-E6OxZrM/edit?usp=sharing
[4]
https://github.com/swcarpentry/lesson-example/blob/gh-pages/_extras/guide.md

--
Kate L. Hertweck, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Biology
Email: khertweck at uttyler.edu
Office: HPR 109, 903.565.5882 <(903)%20565-5882>
https://www.uttyler.edu/biology/