[Admin-all] [SWC] New workshop request: UCSF Library, United States

amy-noreply at software-carpentry.org amy-noreply at software-carpentry.org
Fri Jan 19 15:31:00 CST 2018

Submission date: Jan. 19, 2018, 4:31 p.m.
Workshop type: Software-Carpentry
Person: Joanna Kang <<a href="mailto:joanna.kang at ucsf.edu">joanna.kang at ucsf.edu</a>>
Affiliation: UCSF Library
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Alongside of a conference: —
Preferred date: March 10-11
Workshop language: English
Approx. number of attendees: 40-80 (two rooms, four instructors)
Attendees' fields: Genetics, genomics, bioinformatics, Organismal biology (ecology, botany, zoology, microbiology), Psychology/neuroscience,
Attendees' academic level: Graduate, Post-doctorate, Faculty
Attendees' level of computing experience: Novice (uses a spreadsheet for data analysis rather than writing code), Intermediate (can write a few lines of code for personal use)
Travel and accomodation costs covered by institution: yes
Administrative fee understanding: yes
Fee waiver requested: no
Travel reimbursement: Book their own travel and be reimbursed.
Administrative fee payment option: Waiver requested (please give details in "Anything else")
Comment: UCSF Library is a Software Carpentry partner at the silver level.

We are looking for two instructors: one instructor to teach Python *or* Unix/Git in the Python workshop and one instructor to teach Unix/Git in the R workshop. We need experienced instructors and would prefer women (if at all possible).

We're planning the same type of event as our December 2017 workshop. This event will have two concurrent R and Python workshops with 36 seats in each session (72 total). I'll also recruit around 6 helpers (3 in each workshop). We currently have two instructors, Geoff Boushey (Geoffrey.Boushey at ucsf.edu) and Karla Lindquist (Karla.Lindquist at ucsf.edu). We need two more instructors, one in each workshop.

Participant backgrounds:
As for the anticipated audience, it will be mostly graduate students and postdocs from the health sciences who want to learn to program in order to do things like analyze RNAseq data, create tables and figures for publication, perform statistical analysis, and modify/understand code from other lab members or researchers. Some of them will be familiar with another programming language but many will have never programmed before. They are all very committed to learning as these skills are becoming increasingly essential for their research.

Could you create an Eventbrite for this workshop with tickets at $25 each? Please specify "No refunds." The workshop will be located at UCSF Mission Hall room 1406/1407, 550 16th Street, San Francisco, CA 94158

I'll ask the instructors we have to make Github pages. Should they use these slugs: 2018-03-10-UCSF-R and 2017-03-10-UCSF-Python ?

Thank you,
Joanna

Joanna.Kang at ucsf.edu

You can view the request here: